Wednesday 17 April 2013

Final Major Proposal

I'm in my final stage for college now, creating my Final Major Project for assessment. This is the most exciting part as I get to choose what I do and how I approach it.

At first I had no idea what I was going to do even though I knew I wanted it to be Interior Design based. At the same time I was going to Univesity interviews and this Is where my idea sprung up. 
At Leeds Met University one former student had taken an old run down library and turned it into a writing school for children, changing the structure to create a new building. Half the building came from the idea of stacked books which looked impressive in the structure.

So in came my idea.. can I take the same principal and create my own design redesigning an existing building. After doing my Design visualisation project on trace elements I had the idea of using caves. My initial ideas would come from natural forms, fossils and traces people have left over the years and the caves would be a place to exhibit past forms and old historic pieces found locally. it would be the interior inside the caves that i will change, trying not to touch the rock by destroying it but adding to the space inside, combining old with new/modern. overall i could add to the caves by adding an architectural piece to above the caves on top of the ground. 

I can gain primary research from the local caves in Castelton close to where I live, getting photographs and observational drawings then look into natural forms and designers who have looked into this too.

Overall I know that this is only a concept design as it would take a hel of a lot of planning permission for people to be able to touch the caves in building terms however its one concept to me that is exciting and one that has not been done before.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment