Wednesday 17 April 2013

The Timber Wave



Award-winning architects AL_A and engineering firm Arup transformed the V&A Museum's Grand Entrance on Cromwell Road with the installation of a giant timber wave cascading down the steps. Built from oil-treated American red oak, Timber Wave was a three-dimensional latticework spiral, 12 metres in diameter, that employs construction techniques and materials normally used in furniture making to create a majestic three - storey - high structure.

I really like this installation as it definitley grabs your attention and you follow it from one end to the next. this installation would attract me into the design festival for sure. 

I came across this as I was researching for shapes and sturctures for my Final major project in.. in the caves. This type of structure would be great at the entrance of the caves to intise people in. It comes from the natural form of a wave, a trace that had been somewhere and the Shape itself creates an abstract look about it. To me I think to myself how on earth is it standing up straight?! thats what design should do.

 A very good design in my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment